Sunday, January 4, 2015

Two of My Most Favorite Places: Macon, GA and Chicago, IL

I have more than a couple of favorite places in the world. One of my most favorite places is where I live with my family in Mustang, Oklahoma, but Mustang is not exactly an exciting place to talk about. The following places are the following top 2 on my list.


Macon, Georgia:

Macon is the town where I was born and raised until the age of 16. It is a decent sized town with a population of about 400,000 people. It is located in the middle of the state and is known as "the Heart of Georgia". Macon began as a town in the early 1800's and is home to mound sites that were occupied by Creek Indians from 950 CE - 1150 CE. This town has my heart because of all the history and culture that is there. It is full of historical homes and southern charm. It is also home to Otis Redding, Little Richard, The Allman Brothers Band, and it is where James Brown got his start. It has it's bad moments, but it will always be home.


Macon, GA Skyline. Web Source: Wikipedia Commons.



Chicago, Illinois:

In 2006, I went to Chicago for a furniture show called NeoCon and it was the first time I had been in a big city by myself. Atlanta and Oklahoma City are big, but they have nothing on Chicago. The energy and vibe that you get while walking by the river is indescribable. I have been lucky enough to go every 2 years since then, except for this past year (2014). The food and history are amazing and the people are ... interesting. My most favorite visit was the one that I took in 2008. As I was walking to lunch I got to see a scene from Public Enemies (2009) with Johnny Depp being filmed. It was the coolest thing I had ever saw!


(Image Information: Personal photo of Millennium Park; photo from June 2010.) 



(Image Information: Personal photo of downtown Chicago; photo from June 2010.) 

4 comments:

  1. Oh, what a fun post, Nicole... and that is SO COOL that you got to see them filming for Public Enemies in Chicago. I am such a big fan of that movie — and the TV series Boardwalk Empire... I live a crime-free life, but it sure does make for some great stories! And listen, there is a monumental book about the folklore of the Native peoples of Georgia and the other southeastern states; it contains lots of Creek stories of course — maybe that is something you will be interested in taking a look at for this class. It is a really excellent book:
    Myths and Tales of the Southeastern Indians link ... just the table of contents shows how amazing that book is; all those stories!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had that one bookmarked and didn't know it! I've read through some of them, but will definitely look at it a little more seriously...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Nicole!

    I actually have not been to any of these three places, Mustang, Chicago, and Macon but I hope to one day. I hear a lot of good things about Chicago. I have always wanted to visit Millenium Park. I see so many pictures of it all over social media. It is so cool that you got see Johnny Depp. I have never seen a famous actor.

    ReplyDelete