Sunday, January 18, 2015

MythFolklore Storybook Topic Brainstorm

Topic: Fire stories from Native American Tribes
Comments: Fire is a very important aspect of traditional Creek culture. I have never heard any folklore stories about the fire so I thought it would be interesting to research all of the fire stories from the southeast tribes. I know Felix Gouge, who the stories from  from Hillabee stomp ground in Hanna, Oklahoma. When I moved to Dustin, Oklahoma, Hanna was the next town over and where my step-dad, a medicine man, was also born and raised.
Possible Stories: It is said that each fire is it's own being. There are a lot of different stories about how the fire for each ground came to be. I'm looking forward to reading all of the different ones.
Sample Story Comments: This story is about a rabbit that goes across the ocean to bring the fire back to his people.
Bibliography Information:
Sample Story: Rabbit Steals Fire
Website Name: Totkv Mocuse/New Fire
(just FYI, the link you have in Online Books list for this book links to an old web page where none of the stories are listed. The link I have for the Website is the new link.)



Topic: Tar Baby Stories


Comments: As I was reading through the different Creek stories listed, I noticed there was one for The Tar Baby. That reminded me of the Brer Rabbit Tar Baby story. 
Possible Stories: Since there might be some kind of connection between the Brer Rabbit Tar Baby and this Tar Baby story, I thought I could maybe research some more stories from African American heritage and maybe come up with the origin and/or make my own.
Sample Story Comments: The Rabbit is one tricky little dude. He talks a wolf into taking his place when he is about to get scalded by a farmer.
Bibliography Information:
Sample Story: Tar Baby
Website Name: Myths and Tales of the Southeastern Indians



Topic: Witches
Comments: I am interested in witches and witchcraft. I thought I might be able to go through the different Units and see what there is on either one. I'm sure there is plenty out there.
Possible Stories: Since most stories are of evil witches, I thought maybe a story line about a good witch would be interesting.
Sample Story Comments: This story kind of had a Hansel and Gret(h)el feel to it. Maybe a re-boot where the children are wicked?
Bibliography Information:
Sample Story: The Old Witch
Website Name: More English Fair Tales


Topic: Fallen Angels
Comments: The idea of a fallen angel interests me. When I was looking through Dante's Inferno, I saw a link for Fallen Angels and thought it might be a good idea.
Possible Stories: I don't really have any good ideas today. My creative juices have hit a wall. I know there is something good there though, so I wanted to write it down.
Sample Story Comments: This story doesn't have too much to offer on it's own. I may have to go looking for more in the biblical section. Maybe when I read all of the Inferno stories, this part may make more sense.
Bibliography Information:
Sample Story: Cantos 8 and 9: The Fallen Angels
Website Name: Dante's Inferno

(The Divine Comedy Inferno "Canto 9: The Furies". Source: Salvador Dali Society)

No comments:

Post a Comment