Friday, January 30, 2015

Fire Stories from Native Tribes: Storybook Styles Brainstorm

Topic: I will be doing my Storybook on the different fire stories from different Native American tribes of the United States. Fire is a very important aspect of traditional Creek culture and so I was just going to focus on the South East tribes stories. I then decided that I wanted to expand it to get a little more flavor but apparently there are no other tribes in North or South America that have fire stories that I could find easily. I was a little disappointed and may have to expand my story hunting from just Native American stories to all myths. I may have to do a little more digging and see what is out there.


Bibliography Information:
"Rabbit Steals Fire" by Earnest Gouge, from New Fire (2004). Web Source: William and Mary Linguistics
"Bear, Tiger, Rattlesnake, and Fire" Web Source: Sacred Texts
"The Theft of Fire" Web Source: Sacred Texts
"Fire" Web Source: Sacred Texts
"Rabbit Obtains Fire" Web Source: Sacred Texts

Possible Styles:
Third-Person Storyteller: This is the style that I write in almost all the time. It is just the most natural for me. I may add this to the Inanimate Object as my style. I could also speak for the other animals in the stories in this way also. I will probably combine this and another type of storytelling to get the final product. The inanimate object and bed time story styles really seem like they are going to fit with what I think is going to be my final product.

First-Person Storytelling: This style would work if I wanted to tell the stories through the rabbit's eyes, whom is the most prominent figure in all of the stories, except one. In this style I could have the other animals from one story as characters, but not necessarily told in their voice. I also have humans to consider as a character.

Inanimate Object as Storyteller: This might be the best option for me to go with. The fire is the object in all of the stories, but it is not necessarily inanimate, as modern humans see it. In one story the fire is actually a teacher to the other characters and is old and wise.

Bedtime Story: This might be a good way to combine all the stories into one style instead of doing an anthology style storybook, since 3 of the 5 stories all have a rabbit as their main character. Also, I could have an original prompt question as a way to begin. I may have to tell it in a Third-Person Storyteller, Inanimate Object as Storyteller way.

"Fire" Source: Wikimedia Commons

No comments:

Post a Comment