Sunday, April 12, 2015

Portfolio Index Page

You can also read my Portfolio on my website.



The Becoming

Based on Ovid's story Deucalion and Pyrrha, this is a story about one of the rocks that didn't quite make the transition into a human.



(Deucalion & Pyrrha Repopulate the Earth. Source: Wikipedia Commons)





This story was inspired by one line in the story of Famine in Ovid's Metamorphosis III. “Famine” is a myth about how Ceres decides to torment men with hunger for cutting down her oak tree. In the second paragraph of this story, it is said that "fate does not allow Famine and Ceres to meet." In the myth, Ceres contacts a mountain spirit to contact Famine for her since they are not allowed to be near each other.

(The Three Fates. Source: Wikipedia)





This story was inspired by a proverb from the Plantation Proverbs story that is in the Br'er Rabbit I unit. I had a lot of fun writing this story.


(A Slave Cabin in Barbour County Near Eufaula. Source: Library of Congress)




This story was inspired by the story of Patussorssuaq, Who Killed His Uncle from the Eskimo Folk Tales unit. This story is a little "I boiled your bunny" but I had a blast writing it.

Saint Benedict Curing an Obsessed Etching after L. Carracci. Source: Wikimedia Commons.



This story was inspired by the story The First War from the Apache Tales Unit. This story turned into a voodoo journey before I knew it but, I believe, turned out pretty good.

Affaire de Bizoton 1864. Source: Wikimedia Commons.



This is my Portfolio Index for Mythology-Folklore, Spring 2015.


3 comments:

  1. I’m really excited that I got to comment on someone who is doing the portfolio option so that I can see the differences in how the projects will evolve. I remember reading your story from this story previously in the semester and reading it a second time was just as enjoyable. I still love the way you utilized your characters and your dialogues. I am definitely having a relatable day to that post which makes it all the more enjoyable!

    I really like the layout of your website. I think sometimes people think that adding a bunch of elements makes it better and is enhancing their page but I like the simplicity of a layout a but more. I think the simple layouts help to preserve the importance of the words being written instead of some graphics on the side. Your page works to highlight your portfolio content and I hope your project continues to go well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicole Palmeter,
    I really enjoyed your portfolio. “The Becoming” was really interesting and creative. I especially liked how you wrote the story in the statue’s point-of-view. This allows the reader to know and understand the statue’s feelings and what he was going through. It permitted me to understand how lonely and isolated the statue felt because he was incomplete.
    The picture you chose for “The Becoming” fit well with the story. It perfectly portrays the “becoming” human.
    I also enjoyed your story of the “Fate’s Hangover.” It was very creative and humorous. I liked how you changed an ancient story into a modern telling. The style of writing you used fit with the theme of the story. It sounded just like stereotypical college girl.
    The only suggestion I have for you is in the story of “The Becoming.” Perhaps in this story you can include the statue’s struggle with not being able to experience love, family, and friendship because it is not human. This will make your story a little more sentimental or deep. Good job Nicole!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicole- This review is on Fate’s Hangover. First things first, who is “the big boss”? I am extremely curious; my first guess would be Zeus but my knowledge of mythic gods is not altogether extensive. Secondly, is there a sequel to this story because the ending really sets up nicely for a follow up story? Ok, I really enjoyed the modern twist on a classic tale but there were a few things here and there that could use some smoothing over. The paragraphs are really not very evenly distributed. Some are broken into small “thoughts” while others contain strings of “thoughts.” I hope that makes sense. Perhaps just reading over them one more time to gain more of a balance would be helpful. Another thing I think could use a little editing is the cuss words, use of caps lock, and “…”’s. All of those things really give the story the feel of fourteen-year-old fan fiction. Just spelling out the negative words would read nicer and perhaps using exclamation points instead of all caps would convey the same meaning. Otherwise I really enjoyed your tale. Good job!

    ReplyDelete