Sunday, March 8, 2015

Week 9, Storytelling: Together Forever

Pat was a very handsome man who seemed to have it all. He lived in Manhattan with his beautiful and loving wife in a condo right next to Central Park with a vacation house in the Hamptons. He worked on Wall Street and they had all the money, cars, and houses that they could ever wish for. Life was perfect, or so it seemed to everyone else. Pat, however, was miserable. He had been with his wife since high school. He did love her, and she had stuck it out with him through college and all of the late nights at the office as he worked his way up the ladder. He loved her, he really did, but his uncle had just married a woman named Ruby who was half his age and she was really hot. I mean hot, hot. She was young and beautiful and he wanted her. He always got what he wanted, even though he had never wanted another woman before, and he was going to get what he wanted this time too.


Pat decided he would ask Ruby out for lunch in the guise that he was just wanting to get to know her better. Although he did want to know her better, he wanted much more than that. They were in a dark quiet restaurant in a booth in the back corner and had been drinking wine and talking for over an hour past the end of their lunch. Pat figured this was the best time to make his move. Ruby responded just the way he wanted. They ended up renting a hotel room in Brooklyn and spent the rest of the day doing things that I can’t say in this story. When it was time for them both to go home, Ruby turned to Pat and told him that this was going to be a one-time thing and for him not to tell his uncle and she wouldn’t tell his wife. She also told him that if he didn’t keep his end of the bargain, she would tell them both what had happened. Pat agreed but knew that this was not the end of it. He wanted her more than ever now and he intended to have her.


A week later, Pat called Ruby to meet him for lunch again. She refused and reminded him of her warning. He said he remembered but that he just wanted to talk to her. She hesitantly decided to meet him and he immediately started trying to talk her into going back to a hotel with him. She refused and warned him again as she got up and stormed out of the restaurant. Pat sat there and turned over what had just happened in his mind. The more he thought about it, the more angry he got. He refused to let her say no. She was going to be his one way or the other.


One evening a week later, Ruby was coming back from the gym. She opened the door to their apartment and sat her stuff down on the floor. There was something off, but she couldn’t tell what just yet. She yelled her husband's name as she walked into the kitchen and after he didn’t answer her, she went looking for him. When she walked into their bedroom, she screamed. Lying there on the bed was her husband and Pat’s wife, both naked, and they both had their throats slit. She couldn’t believe what she was seeing and couldn’t stop screaming. After she “calmed” down, she called 911 and waited for them on the sidewalk in front of their building. She called Pat next and told him what had happened. He came over immediately and they tried to comfort each other the best they could. After the detectives questioned them and the coroner removed the bodies, she had to go get a hotel room since her apartment was now a crime scene. After she checked in, she took something to help her sleep. After drinking a bottle of wine, she finally was able to relax and drifted off to sleep. She was woken up by her cell phone ringing at 3:00am. It was Pat, she started talking to him about what had happened again and he cut her off.


“I did it for us,” he said.


Ruby didn’t quite understand at first. And so she started talking again about the accident.


“I DID it for US,” he said again, this time with more emotion in his voice.


She couldn’t believe what she was hearing. Did Pat kill them, or have them killed, so they could be together? She sat there with sheer panic on her face.


“Ruby, I did this for us. Now we can be together,” Pat said in a sweeter voice.


I didn’t want this though,” Ruby replied. She was in tears now and was in the beginning stages of a panic attack. She had to hang up and call the police she thought before this got out of hand.


“Ruby, don’t you dare think about calling the police. I will kill you if you do. I will kill you no matter what you do unless you agree to be with me.”


Ruby was stunned. Pat was crazy, he was really certifiable. She couldn’t believe this was happening.


“I take it from your silence that you need a little time to make a decision, but I know what it will be. I know you want to live. We will have to wait an amount of time so it doesn’t seem out of place that we are living together, but you will be mine,” Pat said very calmly.


Pat hung up and Ruby sat there staring at the phone. She didn’t want to die. She sat there and thought about suicide and actually calling the police, but at last, she picked up her phone and texted one word to Pat. “OK”

An arial view of Central Park by Central Park Conservancy. Source: Wikimedia Commons.



Author’s Note: This story is based on Patussorssuaq, Who Killed His Uncle from the Eskimo Folk Tales Unit by Knud Rasmussen. This was one of the most coherent stories from this unit and I thought it would be the best one to try to re-write. This story is a simple one of jealousy and how doing something wrong can come back and bite you in the butt or as some put it Karma. I wanted to put a modern spin on the story, kind of like a Boil Your Bunny/Fatal Attraction feel but reversed but also not in the exact same way. In the original folk tale, Patussorssuaq got his comeuppance for coveting his uncle and his wife, he even ended up losing the stolen wife. We all know real life isn't always that cut and dried though and that sometimes bad people get away with bad things. I decided to change the ending to be a little more realistic into how this would really go down. Hopefully he will get what is coming to him in the afterlife. I intentionally left the ending open so that the reader would leave wondering what really happened to them in the end. I also decided to shorten his name to Pat since his real name is a mouthful.


Bibliography: Eskimo Folk Tales by Knud Rasmussen, 1921.

5 comments:

  1. Hey Nicole!

    I really enjoyed your story. It was quite the thriller. It kept me on the edge of my seat. It is kind of crazy how someone can seem so normal and live such a normal life can do such horrifying actions. I was a little disappointed at how the story ended. I wanted to know if Pat actually does get away with murder but I guess that was your whole point: to leave the reader hanging or let him/her make his/her own conclusions. Good job Nicole!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked your story. I have to admit that I have always had a bit of an obsession with murder mysteries so I love that aspect of it. I also like how it leads to a bit of a cliffhanger. She agrees to be with him but we do not know how their lives are going to go. Overall, I really liked your version of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nicole! This story is so awesome!! I really enjoyed reading it! The introduction definitely caught my attention! I think it's sad when people have literally everything in the world and can still possibly want more, especially things they shouldn't have. This story was great! Your story reminds of some SVU episodes that I have seen. The jealousy stories turn out to be the very best ones! Your story kept me wanting to read more! Honestly, I was kind of disappointed in the ending. I really didn't want Ruby to end up with Pat. He is so nasty. I can't believe he would go through all that for a woman. I wish Ruby would've called the police or something. But it does make me wonder how the rest of their story with go. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nicole! This story was quite the thriller and kept me on the edge of my seat through it all. It reminded me so much of the movie "Fatal Attraction" and I really enjoyed that movie. Your story didn't end the same way as the movie, but that is what makes your story unique and interesting. Your story evoked so many emotions in me...hatred for Pat because of what he did, sadness for Pat's wife & Ruby's husband, and disbelief in Ruby for not doing the "right thing" and calling the police and getting him arrested for what he had done.
    My only critique would be to use a different picture. Although I love the colors and scenery of the picture, I didn't get the connection to the story at first. I would have chosen a picture of something more dramatic like a murder scene or of the two lovers.
    I also wanted to say that I found no grammatical errors or spelling errors. The story was well thought out and it flowed very well. Although I wish Ruby didn't end up with Pat in the end, I'm sure Ruby felt like that was her only option based on the storyline.
    Overall, you did a great job on this story and I have also enjoyed reading some of your other posts in this class. You have a way with words and how to write easy to read stories. Good luck with the rest of this semester, your future classes and with pursuing your dreams! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Nicole! What a story. This really had me on the edge of my seat as I was reading it. I can tell you really enjoyed writing this because I enjoyed reading it. You did a very good job with making this story come to life. I could see the story in my head as I was reading it. I also love the suspense of the story. This story almost felt like it could have been a short tragic movie or show. It is crazy what people will do for love. Your story shows this first hand. It's sad that many people actually resort to this to actually be with someone. The picture you choose to illustrate the area I really liked. Although, you did a great job of creating your own picture with you words. I just wish the ending may have been different. Pat was so crazy, it sucks that Ruby had to give in to him in the end. I probably would have rather taken my chances in him trying to kill me and call the cops. Anyway, great story!

    ReplyDelete