Monday, February 23, 2015

Week 7, Storytelling: Mama Bob White's Song

My story starts when mama, Missus Bob White, left me and my brothers under the care of Mr. Br'er Rabbit while she went and washed her dress. Poor mama just cried and cried to us every night, but we can't answer her anymore. You see, Br'er Rabbit, who was supposed to be watchin' us, decided that he was gonna take us home and give us to his ol' lady to cook up for supper. She had already put the grease in the pan and had the fire stoked and ready, but when she broke open my egg, she realized I wasn't an "egg" anymore--I was already a bob white, and was gettin' ready to hatch. Well, Missus Rabbit, being a mama herself, she didn't have the heart to kill me and my brothers. (Between you an' me, I think we just wasn't big enough to get a good bite of meat out of.) Anyway, after she figured she couldn't cook us, she decided to put us in the chicken pin with their other chickens until Mr. Rabbit got back. Me and my brothers didn't speak "chicken" so we didn't know what was going on or where our mama was. When Mr. Rabbit got back, Missus Rabbit told him what had happened with us and oooohh, he was as mad as a wet hen! He sure thought he was gonna get a good meal out of us eggs. Mr. Rabbit told the Missus that he couldn't take us back to our mama 'cause he done told her we had ran away and didn't know where we had run off to. 

After talking for awhile, Mr. and Missus Rabbit decided they was gonna let us go, but told us that we couldn't go back to our mama. They said we had to go in to the big city and live so that she wouldn't know what had happened to us. We was young, just hatched in fact, so we didn't know no better, so we did what we was told. Me and my brothers marched in to Atlanta all by ourselves and met a bunch of pigeons. They were a weird bunch, but they took us in and taught us how to get somethin' to eat and how to stay warm and how to just get by. We growed up with those pigeons as our family and every now and then one of us would think about mama and how lonely she probably was. After a couple of years, when we was old enough to start thinkin' for ourselves, we decided we was gonna go back to that forest and find our mama. It wasn't easy to find her, but we met up with Br'er Fox, who said he knew Br'er Rabbit and how nasty he could be, and he helped us find our mama. Mama still cries every night, but now it's with joy that we are finally home.


Bobwhite Egg. Source: Wikimedia Commons.

Author's Note: This story is based off of the story "Br'er Rabbit and the Partridge Nest" from the Br'er Rabbit II Unit. I had a really hard time finding something to write about this week, but I finally looked over the readings again and the end of this story started me thinking about if Miss Bob White's eggs had not actually been eaten, which is what is assumed in the story, at least by me. I decided to write this like I was telling the story to someone at home. Being from the south myself, sometimes I will lapse back into aint's and gone's with a lot of contractions and dropping the "g"s off of words, so I thought it would be fun to tell this in the style of talking my grandma does when she tells stories.


Bibliography: Story source: Uncle Remus and Br'er Rabbit by Joel Chandler Harris, with illustrations (1906).

3 comments:

  1. That was a neat way to retell the story. I read (or maybe better said that I listened) to the first Brer Rabbit unit, and I really enjoyed all of the stories. I thought it was pretty funny how you decided to tell the story in a sort of Southern accent, dropping g’s and whatnot. It gave the story more style.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've found that I really enjoy the store re-tellings people have been doing of Brer Rabbit because they stick with the dialect the story was told in. It helps to keep in with the spirit of the story and just generally makes it more fun to read than the standard prose most of the folk tales are told in, so I'm glad you kept with it in this story! Aside from that, I like that you stuck with the 'what if' scenario to tell your story and everyone still got a happy ending. The last line is especially clever. I really liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you chose to retell this story. I have never read nor have I ever heard this story but I liked how you decided to tell what would happen if they weren't eaten. I also loved that you used the southern accent when writing this. I did not even realize that it was meant that way, I just knew that I was automatically reading it with the accent. Overall, I really liked it.

    ReplyDelete